The RHS sill has been repaired at some time but it has been welded out out alignment.
The whole section is set back too far, at least 6mm. Also this side has been damaged in the wheelarch area and repaired not as well as it could have been. To repair all of this it is necessary to remove the rear guard and cut back the sill. Then replace some of the wheelarch and the sill.
This is the sill out of alignment.The old piece has been cut out and a new section to be welded in it’s place in the correct place. This holds the side panel in place and the trim pieces that go on the bottom section.
The quarter panel was in worse condition then we thought. So I had to remove it and straighten it after removing about 1 kilogram of body filler. The wheel arch moulding also had to be done. The result of accident damage some time in the past. I guess it is over sixty years old. So has had a lifetime of hard use.
As I started to repair the sill the old repair to the panel started to look like it had to be done again. There was a lot of filler and rust under the filler. We decided it had to be taken off and repaired again.
Also the damage had been right along the side even up and over the wheel arch.
And so the panel was cut and the dents knocked out.
After this was done the rest of the side panel had to be cut off to repair the welded joint. You can see a section in this photo where the filler did not even adhere to the steel.
So finally after many hours all is sound again. And epoxy sealed against any future rust.
The repaired section is painted now and the paint is curing.