Blog Image

Uuta 48 Chevrolet

Uuta 48 Chevrolet Ute

This is a Blog to document the Rejuvenation / Restoration of a 1948 Chevrolet Ute. At the beginning we bought a rusty body and chassis in a condition that was best described as "ready for restoration" After a few months of preparation and planning another complete and running Ute was found in much beter condition. So the original body was sold off and the process started again with the new vehicle. The plan is to do a major update of the drivetrain, motor / gearbox etc. to bring it to a "modern" standard. It will be classified as a "Streetrod" for registration purposes and subject to stringent testing of all components and workmanship during construction.

Sill repairs

Body Repairs / Changes Posted on Wed, October 28, 2015 04:19:55

The RHS sill has been repaired at some time but it has been welded out out alignment.
The whole section is set back too far, at least 6mm. Also this side has been damaged in the wheelarch area and repaired not as well as it could have been. To repair all of this it is necessary to remove the rear guard and cut back the sill. Then replace some of the wheelarch and the sill.

This is the sill out of alignment.The old piece has been cut out and a new section to be welded in it’s place in the correct place. This holds the side panel in place and the trim pieces that go on the bottom section.
The quarter panel was in worse condition then we thought. So I had to remove it and straighten it after removing about 1 kilogram of body filler. The wheel arch moulding also had to be done. The result of accident damage some time in the past. I guess it is over sixty years old. So has had a lifetime of hard use.

As I started to repair the sill the old repair to the panel started to look like it had to be done again. There was a lot of filler and rust under the filler. We decided it had to be taken off and repaired again.

Also the damage had been right along the side even up and over the wheel arch.
And so the panel was cut and the dents knocked out.
After this was done the rest of the side panel had to be cut off to repair the welded joint. You can see a section in this photo where the filler did not even adhere to the steel.
So finally after many hours all is sound again. And epoxy sealed against any future rust.

The repaired section is painted now and the paint is curing.



Door handles

Body Repairs / Changes Posted on Wed, October 28, 2015 02:38:34

The old Chevrolet door handles are in need of replacement. Apart from the chrome finish being in bad condition. They do not work as well as they did and the springs tend to be worn making the handles sag.
The handle shown here, you can see the way they hang with the weakened spring. Both doors to be updated with handle from a Jaguar.


So we will use some more of the Jaguar parts we have bought. The door handles from an early model XJ 6 work well and will suit the older style of this Ute.
The old handles have to be removed and a recess made in the door panel.
The replacements are quite good and will look as though they were the original handles
when the steel is painted.

Some photos of the stages to fit them.

A little final finishing needed and then some paint.

The doors have been painted now and have come up well. Just waiting for the paint to harden so the handles can be fitted. Photos of the finished result.